Monday, April 02, 2007

So long NYC....and the 485,460 calorie messiah



Sitting in the lounge at JFK, as I have countless times before, I find myself as usual a bit bored and dreading the next 8 hours or so. I always find it hard to say goodbye to NYC, albeit for different reasons at different times.This time the city gave me a much needed shot in the arm after a crap week.
First off check out this bizarre little vignette.
Only in New York...... and no its not an April fools story:
Sculptor Cosimo Cavallaro calls his Jesus figure "My Sweet Lord," and said viewers will be invited to lick it and eat it before it's taken down on Easter Sunday.
A press release advertising the sculpture to be displayed starting Monday at the Lab Gallery at the Roger Smith Hotel describes it as "Jesus, the 485,460-calorie Messiah."

Predictable outrage ensued and the whole thing was called off. For the full story go here

I stayed at the Alex Hotel on East 45th and 3rd the past two weekends. The place is worth it for the doormen alone who were cool, funny guys. I found myself reaching into my pocket for a tip more often than usual because they really went out of their way to help me out.The rooms themselves were big(ish) though the shower promised much more than it was able to deliver. A $58 breakfast of coffee, toast, juice and fruit felt a bit much , but all in all not a bad place if on the expensive side. The tiny lobby has a hypnotic little panel of lights which change colour every 10 seconds or so. Here's a little study of T in red, green and blue! Boredom does strange things to you.

I hope all of you have a great week and I'll see you again from the UK. I'll leave you with a few random shots from today's walk.

No comments: