Sunday, October 28, 2007

Weekend in Cambridge

In the market square in Cambridge town center a guy was giving out hugs.
In many cities of the world people would take a wide route around him and be careful not to catch his eye. Yesterday he had a steady flow of folks coming up to get their free hug.
Kind of nice.
From the market square I had the privilege of visiting the LMB Cambridge university at Addenbrooks hospital.
The Laboratory of Molecular Biology is a famous place.
Scientific staff of the LMB who have shared a Nobel prize are Sanger (twice), Kendrew, Perutz, Crick, Klug, Milstein, Walker, Brenner and Sulston. Visitors who have received a Nobel prize for work done, or initiated, at the LMB include Watson, Altman, Kohler, Horvitz, Kornberg and Andrew Fire. In addition, many alumni have gained great distinction which has been recognised by elections to learned bodies
The newest addition to this clever bunch is my friend Saba.

What does a future Nobel prize winner have in their diary?The place was interesting but incomprehensible to a non- boffin like myself.
Saba, who is working on her Phd here, gave me a crash course in cell receptors and a number of other things which were forgotten the minute I heard them.
Nod, nod, smile, smile.
Yes, yes....interesting.
The odd question from my side elicited a good natured frown .
Clever girl.
Its Sunday and raining and I have no idea what to do with myself today.
No more laundry to do and I'm sick of the crap Sunday TV.
To think others are slaving away in a lab coming up with cures to the ills that plague humanity while I veg on my couch.

Love to all
T

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love the free hug idea... i wonder how that would go down in nyc?