- The original architect and engineer crushed his foot when a barge crashed into the jetty he was standing on whilst surveying the job before it started. He watched the construction through a telescope from a window in Brooklyn Heights and died of gangrene before it was finished.
- His son (or brother I don't remember which) got the bends while finishing the construction. Sadly....he also expired.
- When finished the towers were the tallest structures in NYC
- PT Barnum led the first crossing of the bridge with Jumbo the elephant leading from the front .
- There are 37,000 pieces of human bone buried in the bridge's foundations.
- One of the points above isn't true (but could be).
- Which one is the imposter?
All of the above is courtesy of the guide on the Circle line tour.
(Except the fake one and the bit at the end)
Some German(ish) accented guy named Olaf has a number waterfall sculptures along the Hudson.
They're "The Thing" of the moment so they figure in most of the following snaps.
I took a ton of the same thing but what follows is the best (ish) of the lot.That's it for tonight.
I'm still crappy in the back department and head for Berlin tomorrow.
Canada on Sunday then Hong Kong then Dubai and back on September 3rd.
So much for the summer. Night all