Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Heading home today

I find myself with a morning to kill before taking the long gridlocked trip to the airport in Beijing. My flight home is going to be a long one. For reasons unimportant, I fly to Osaka, then Dubai with 3 hours in that strange cross roads airport, then finally the UK. All in all its going to take about 20 hours. Blah!
Its strange to be going "home". Cambridge has no emotional hold on me. Its become a place where I keep my stuff. My daughter lives in London, and I suppose the place has emotional ties but there isn't really that connection there either.
In a day or so, I'll head through those arrival doors at Heathrow as I've done so many times before and be scanning the crowd for a fat guy named Les , or Phil, or John, who'll have my name mis-spelled in magic marker on a makeshift sign.
Tuesday I'm supposed to be in Paris but I think that I'm going to put my foot down and stay in the UK for the week.
Its likely I'll be in NYC in a week or two and that should be an odd experience as there are ghosts from the past lurking there.
Constant movement with short periods in one place, characterized by frenetic activity, seems to be the way my life goes. Over the next two months its likely to intensify if anything.
Most people I know are winding down from their summer holidays and settling in to their last week or gearing up for the return to work. I wonder what that's like? I seem to remember that kind of life in what seems like a long time ago.
I'm not complaining.
Too long in one place gives me itchy feet. I've tried the domestic thing and it maybe isn't for me. No blame or recriminations. It may be that I'm just not built that way.
Why this confessional?
I've no idea.
I'm not feeling depressed or down.
I'm not even tired for a change.
Just a little road weary.
I'm off to the "Vegas" pool pictured in an earlier post and then a snooze in the car to the airport.
Til next time
T

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I am one of those people you know who are gearing up for a return to "real" work. Anyhow! Life is strange and it has taken us in different directions over time. That's the way it goes.

Wish I could join you in in New York. "Les - wish you were here" and all that business. That was another time altogther. Nonetheless, we should talk soon about the next chapter.

Anonymous said...

having just experienced one day back in the throes of the madness that is my life and work, I hear you!

would much rather be in your homeland mr robinson...so, here's to you mr robinson - jesus loves you more than you will know...and i will try my best to keep the ghosts of nyc out of your machine!

kcbomber23 said...

Paging Mr. Robinson.....YOU, my dear,dear friend are thinking entirely too much these days. SO - put on a happy face & exorcise all those ghosts right out of NYC - because if there is a man on earth who can tackle those buggers - it is you! Wish you were coming to the "middle America" - I'd make good on that massage offer! Loved the Taboggan story/picture - any man who's willing to risk life & limb on that baby - isn't afraid of anything this world has to throw his way! Take care - give Jess a BIG HUG & KISS and ALL will be right with the world again - guaranteed! Afterall, have I ever steered you wrong before? ALWAYS!!! KC