Wednesday, August 30, 2006

nightmarket, I hope you have a strong stomach

Around the corner from my hotel is a nightmarket selling all manner of creepy crawlies. This was not just a tourist attraction, but a bustling, busy hub of people snacking on a rather strange variety of finger food.
Testicles on a stick.

Lung soup




I cannot even begin to describe the smell...... It amazes me, and that's a symptom of my western conditioning, watching carefully made up, elegant Chinese ladies clamoring for a deep fried bug on a stick, or slaughterhouse scrapings soup.
Finally, after a queasy couple of hours, I ended the evening in the hotel bar.
After sitting and talking with a colleague for an hour or so, I paid the bill and got up to leave. As I did so, I felt a tug at my sleeve and found that Chinese entrepreneurship has arrived amongst the ladies practicing the world's oldest profession at the Hyatt.
Language need not be a barrier it seems.
I declined this particular cultural experience.


Hope all is well. I'm heading home tomorrow and hope to see my little girl over the weekend.
Terry

No comments: