Monday, April 23, 2007

Last stuff from Bombay and a quick couple from Dubai

I stayed at the Intercontinental on Marine Drive which is an upmarket part of the city and a world away from the life of people just a few blocks away.
I went to Crawford market which is a giant fruit and veg stand housed in a century old warehouse. It was crowded, bustling and a cool shelter from the 42 degrees sun outside.
I picked up a couple of "guides" as one does in places like this. They tried to steer me to spice counters and various favoured vendors, but would go no further than this alley. They told me that "down there is the animal place" and declined to come along.
I went by myself.
The first thing you see is a pathetic area selling puppies, birds and cats. Its bloody cruel and the animals are suffering in the heat.
A little further along and you come to what can only be described as hell.
The heat, smell and sheer filth made the butcher stalls memorable.
No big deal so far right?
Scroll down.I was seriously worried that I had breathed in some sort of lethal pathogen whilst taking these pictures.
Birds, dogs and children picked through the offal.
No refrigeration.
42 degrees and not the slightest hint of a breeze. In the midst of all of this people were living and cooking.
From Crawford Market I walked to the main train station about a half mile away. As always in India there were some interesting things to see along the way.
Not sure if you can tell from the picture but the teacher is BEATING his students.
I'm a sucker for train stations and the main terminus in Bombay didn't disappoint.
The deodorant salesman above letting the perspective customers sample the wares. The sickly aroma of the stuff was only marginally better than the sour smell of sweat so omnipresent in India. Fast forward a couple of days and I'm in Dubai again.
I went to Bar 360 last night at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel. Its uber-cool and hooker free (well as close as you can get in Dubai).
In a month this place will be a blast furnace and sitting outside even at night will be uncomfortably hot. The temperature is perfect now and last night felt great.
The scenery and vibe WAS a bit Duran Duran, but the sprinkling of Essex thrown in made for the occasional smirk making it palatable.
I'm home tomorrow!
Love to all
T

3 comments:

xoxnicoco said...

words escape me... will "wow" suffice?

Anonymous said...

great pictures..... as ususal.

Anonymous said...

Do try and visit the following famous English restaurant on your next visit to Bombay. OK?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-pmg_CCeI