Monday, February 11, 2008

Dubai again

I got into Dubai yesterday morning at 6:30 am and the airport was its usual bedlam.
It took me 2 hours to get to the hotel as my arrival coincided with the gridlocked Dubai rush hour. Despite the almost daily opening of new roads and bypass bridges, the infrastructure just can't cope with the growth here.
The cost of progress I guess.
As you can see above the Burj Dubai continues its march skyward.
Its so tall now that on the approach to the airport it was the only visible structure poking through the clouds.
That's bloody high.
How in god's name do the workers deal with the height and wind?

The temperature at this time of year is similar to an English spring day.
Its strange to wear a sweater and a jacket in a place I associate with blast furnace heat.
Last night I ate outside by the sea and the restaurant needed to have propane heaters on the veranda.
Unimaginable in the killer climate I melted in last August.
I'm here until Wednesday then its a dash across Turkey where I'll visit Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir.

Stay well
T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have had the same weather as we have been experiencing , i was out today in a tea shirt cutting the grass, and cleaning the winter green mould off my patio, this was a lovely feeling, for both off us :) penny

Anonymous said...

Slightly different view than from the CN Tower in TO.