Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cambridge

I'm back from the Frankfurt Book fair. I didn't bother to post or take pictures because frankly, I've done that the past two years running and nothing this year was inspiring enough to warrant mention. I've spent my Saturday wandering around Cambridge and it was as nice an Autumn day you could wish for. On the weekend this place is over run by day-tripping tourists so photo-clicking Japanese and yanks are a fixture.
" Martha, can you get a picture of that "spire thing? I'm going to McDonalds to get a Mac"
I swear to you I heard that today.
I've taken most of these pics in one form another before (its a small place), but decided to post em anyway as I'm at a loose end.
I love old doors.
Like Oxford, punting in Cambridge is a big part of the "experience". Its fun enough and can be a laugh, but on the weekend the traffic jams on the "river" Cam (its more a canal in my eyes) make it a bit of a comedy.Given the plethora of tourists and (on the weekend anyway) drunken people navigating the river, I can't imagine the scene at the "funeral" punt advertised below.There is an element of busker hell in the city centre.
They compete for attention. This fellow had a rather desperate, if not truthful approach (he was rubbish) to attract punters.
I'm sitting in darkness as I type.
My landlady has decided to replace the fusebox and boiler ( I've been asking for this for 4 years) and the light switches trip the overload, blowing out all the electricity in the flat.
That's it for today.
I see Jess early tomorrow and then am determined to get cracking on shedding my possessions in preparation for my move East.
I've changed the music on the blog to feature some "Brit Chick" singers that I'm liking on my Ipod at the moment. Nothing too startling and definitley not top 10. So if you've turned the sound down lately cause you were bored with what was playing....turn it back up.
Love to all
T

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm! Punting. I seem to remember some punting in Oxford years ago. Quite a pleasant exprience as for reasons that had to do with some Czech girls who lived in Sweden. Does it get any better than that? Oh well! Just a memory and a diversion now.

Take it easy buddy!

You know who I am

Anonymous said...

I think you will miss this Cambridge downtime, HK is oppressive. Ah well you can always visit (B&B rates on application).

TR-HW

Anonymous said...

I am not liking Lily Allen, nor Kate Nash. Aural estuary English assault. Nooooooooooo. Elastica groovy tho.

TR-HW

Anonymous said...

Echo & the Bunnymen's Ocean Rain has been reissued, hurrah!

TR-HW