Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Seoul

I've been in Seoul over the past couple days and its been pretty busy so I haven't been posting. I've been here quite a few times and I thought I'd run out of things to say about the place .
The first thing to mention is that Koreans don't seem at all fussed about the current sabre rattling coming from the North.
They've heard it all before.
The grub was as nice as I remembered it.Seoul is a quirky place.
Along side the sky scrapers and coffee shops there are clusters of Disney like buildings which when questioned about prompted guffaws from a colleague.
These are "Wedding Venues" in which Buddhist Koreans get married and celebrate with friends and family.
Christian Koreans do it in church.
My visit involved a trip south in a 300km/hr train. The French made bullets were steady and smooth.
I can only shake my head remembering the misery of train travel in the UK.
Japan was playing Korea in the World Baseball Classic final being played in San Diego.
It seems like ages ago, but the preliminary rounds were being played 2 weeks ago in Toronto when I was there.
A moment of Zen as seeming random events and dots were joined up.
The whole country came to a stand still and the train station in Seoul was no exception.Though there were no TVs on board , passengers used their cell phones to watch the game. Though I know people can watch TV on a cell, I've never actually seen someone doing it.
Lets start with some famous folks who since retiring from public life now flog a well known Korean tonic on the sides of the city's buses.
That's it for Seoul. All that's left to say is I caught an exhibition of a well know Canadian photographer when I was in town.Cheesy I know.
I'm a bit brain dead as I sit tapping away in a hotel room in Tokyo.
I'll post a bit of Japan as and when.
Nothing inspired in the post but at least I've put something up after a prolonged absence.
Right?
Stay well
T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See you've got your photo mojo working.

UK trains: hrrrumph. We're all looking forward to a rail strike on Monday next week. Which means Tuesday's trip to London office is banjaxed because all the trains will be in the wrong sidings first thing Tuesday.

Love the Winnie pic. 2nd favourite Winston Churchill quotation:
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

Quite.

Take care

TR-HW

Anonymous said...

Favourite Winston Churchill quotation:
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

TR-HW