Thursday, October 04, 2012

Oslo, Amsterdam, Kings X and the beginning of Autumn

Who's that tired hombre above?
Moi.
I did a mad dash across Scandinavia ( well Norway anyway) and a brief stop in the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago.
I took the picture above because for the past 5 years or so Central Station in Amsterdam has been covered in scaffolding and largely invisible.
Not a bad looking place.
Problem is now that the construction has moved away from the immediate entrance the human debris so prevalent before the renovation is rolling back in.
Amsterdam is a beautiful city, but the place can be a magnet for some of the most screwed up people in  the world.
I'm not talking about the Dutch.
Its the English, Americans, Italians and everyone else enthralled by smoking themselves into oblivion who start their European vacations in Amsterdam and  wake up 3 months later, dry mouthed, broke and contemplating the train wreck they let themselves fall into.
Blasted out of their heads they gather around the station looking for a quick score.
I counsel those who are doubtful  and travelling the backpacker trail to keep a firm grip on their fanny pack or risk a premature end to their European adventure. 
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh.
No I'm not. 
 Oslo on the other hand is so clean it squeaks.
The land of the $12 Big Mac meal has a cradle to grave social system and the most expensive beer on the planet.
Its the only place I've ever seen people buy 1 glass ( not pint, a 10 oz class) with a credit card.
The people are nice though.
Finally a quick look at the "New Look" Kings X Station in North London.
It seemed forever to be completed but when all is said and done, its pretty nice.
Like Amsterdam however, step outside and you're rubbing shoulders with some pretty messed up folks. 
That's it for today.
The leaves are starting to change in Michigan and a slight chill is detectable in the air.
Germany on Monday and the annual ordeal that is the Frankfurt Book Fair.
I'll try and get some pics though I've posted about it more than once.
Stay well everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll right away grasp your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me recognize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks. Kamagra bestellen Super Kamagra
my website: Kamagra bestellen

RS said...

Thats the problem with Amsterdam. I have been there many times and its a beautiful city with beautiful people, but it's relaxed attitude to the Mary-Jane tends to attract every dead-beat stoner from across Europe - which can lead to a disappointing first impression.

iffatali said...

Travelers never think that they are the foreigners.
Flights to Cape Town
Cheap Flights to Cape Town
Cheap Air Tickets to Cape Town