Thursday, December 13, 2007

Delhi day 2

India is humbling.
Money and squalor, side by side.
I think the only reason there hasn't been a revolution here is the iron grip the caste system seems to have on the populace.
I had two hours wandering with a colleague today and took a massive number of pictures. I'll post them in two batches.
Tell me what you think.

Rickshaw school bus.
Seeing the little school bags on the roof was touching. On a crowded dirty street there was a flurry of little girls chattering and laughing together, carefully handing Micky Mouse bags to the driver for safe keeping. I wonder if they even saw the child below or took in the squalor around them on the street? They're just innocent little things but I guess you learn young to shut out the stuff that doesn't fit into your reality. All those little black dots in the picture above are flies.
Electricity in the older part of New Delhi.
A tangled mass of wires that have probably been there for a hundred years. Check out the guy tapping into the juice.
Its clear it pays not to sleep if you've got trainers coveted by others.
Whether its grub, junk, a shave, trim or ear-cleaning (!) you're after, you can get it all on the street.
Eunuchs .
The idea of it makes most guys cross their legs in alarm.
They play an important part in Indian society and are in demand to bless newborn children and weddings. They're also prostitutes and operate in Mafia like organisations, using spies amongst household staff to inform on pending nuptials or births. I'm told that after descending on the household their demands can be extortionate to carry out a blessing.
I've got a ton of other pictures and will try and post them later. Its amazing how many I took in the brief time I had, though India seems to present a memorable image every direction you look. I've got a full day tomorrow before flying overnight back to Dubai.
It'll be another long day made worse that my insomnia shows no sign of abating. I'm only getting 3 hours or so of sleep at a time.
That's not a good thing.
Other than being tired I feel OK, so all is well I guess.
Check back later for more pics!
Love to all
T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at your photos makes me realise how fortunate i am !! there seems to be no balance, quite saddening :( penny x

Unknown said...

Terry,
Sad that you had actually seen just one face of India. With whopping population, the second largest of whole world, squalidness is inevitable. India of course has high rises, broomed streets and picturesque places, which you've missed.