Monday, September 29, 2008

Seoul- Bongeunsa

Bongeunsa is the centre of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism. The temple complex sits in the southern section of downtown Seoul and is across the street from the International Trade Center (CODEX). In contrast to the modern surroundings, the Bongeunsa is celebrating it's 1000th year.
Ya that's right, a thousand years.
The Chinese characters on the walls give testimony to the age as they predate the invention of the Korean written language. The big guy above is quite a bit more contemporary as he came into being in 1996. Despite his relative youth he's considered "the greatest treasure of Bongeunsa" He's 23 meters high and is the largest statue of Buddha in Korea. The complex is peaceful, full of winding paths and trees and though its in the heart (ish) of the city it has a cool vibe of serenity (now THAT statement is as new- agey as T ever gets).
I'm glad I was able to steal an hour today. Little interludes like this keep me going I think.
I'm here for this evening and the inevitable dinner (Korean BBQ!) then its up before dawn and off to Taipei if the latest Typhoon cooperates.
That's it for today.
I just realised this is my 602nd post. (!)
Time has a way of flying away from you huh?
Love to all
T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way these temples are always so flamboyant - my favourite at these places are the bells at the corner of every rooftop! amazing attention to detail.