Saturday, March 20, 2010

Leipzig

Leipzig is famous for quite a number of different things spread over the past few hundred years. One of which should be the space ship convention center where I spent a bit of time
The city dates its origins to 1015 and became a centre of commerce with the establishment of the Leipzig Trade Fair (still running to this day) in the Middle Ages. With the founding of the University of Leipzig in 1409, the city became an important hub for publishing and law.
The Battle of Nations, which halted Napoleons progress and led to his internment on Eba took place around Leipzig
In 1839, Germany's first long distance railway between Dresden and Leipzig was finished and the city became the focus for central European trade. Its railway station is the biggest by area in Europe .
Bach lived and worked in Leipzig from 1723-1750, and the city makes quite a lot of mileage from this with statues and monuments.
The city orchestra and Opera House are famous everywhere I'm told.
The city was captured by American troops at the end of WWII who then withdrew allowing the Soviets to occupy the region and Leipzig became one of the German Democratic Republics most important cities.
In 1989, a series of marches (known as the Monday protests) began at St Nicholas' Church and are acknowledged as the beginning of the end for the East German regime.
I was struck by the contrast in new and old.
Tumbled down buildings and restored splendor.
I also had a series of great sandwiches there .
You just gotta love German bread.
All of these pictures were taken within a square mile or so of my hotel.
As I didn't have much free time I guess I was lucky that there was enough to see and snap over an hour or so the afternoon of my departure.
That's it for today.
I see Jess tomorrow and fly back to HK on Monday.
Stay well and be happy as everything has a tendency to come full circle.
That's a good thing.
T

No comments: